1 December, 2021
IQA Trustee Applications Open
The International Quidditch Association (IQA) is looking for new trustees to serve on its board.
The IQA Nominations Committee is co-chaired by Chris Lau (Hong Kong SAR) and Rahel Liviero (Switzerland). We are inviting two National Governing Body (NGB) representatives and one IQA Volunteer to join the committee. If you are interested please email email@example.com.
Trustees serve as part of a small group that makes governing decisions for the IQA. The trustees have a direct hand in shaping the future of the organization and the sport overall. The general powers of the board include, but are not limited to:
- Hire, evaluate, terminate, and set compensation for any staff.
- Admit new members, reclassify, and terminate memberships as provided in the constitution.
- Maintain a culture of ethical behavior and compliance throughout the IQA.
- Achieve transparency in the operations of the IQA as is reasonably achievable.
- Set the strategic plan, budget, and corporate performance measures.
- Monitor the financial reporting process and the legal and regulatory compliance program.
- Set policy on capital distribution, financial strategies, borrowing commitments, and long range financial planning.
- Monitor the IQA’s assets to ensure that they are properly protected.
- Conduct an annual review of the IQA’s performance and effectiveness and determine future actions required to achieve the IQA’s mission.
- Take such other action as is customary for a board of directors of a nonprofit corporation.
Applications for the open Trustee positions are due on Jan. 23, 2022. The interviews will be held between January 24 and Feb 5, 2022. The final confirmation vote for trustees will be conducted at the IQA Assembly Meeting on February 19, 2022.
See below for the detailed timeline and explanation of the application process, as well as opportunities to give feedback. Either NGB representatives or members of the public who have questions, comments, or feedback on either the overall process or the priorities considered when selecting trustees, are encouraged to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jan. 23, 2022: Deadline for applications
Applicants should email email@example.com with the following information:
- Full Name
- Email Address
- Country of residence
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- Cover Letter, addressing:
What is your motivation to apply as a Trustee?
What do you see as the future of the IQA and quidditch in general?
How do you want to achieve this?
What skills would you bring to the role of trustee?
- OPTIONAL: Letter of recommendation from an NGB/quidditch organisation itself or from person(s) who served or is serving in an NGB/quidditch organisation
Candidates may apply directly without an NGB/personal recommendation.
An NGB/person may recommend more than one candidate.
Any NGB may recommend any candidate, regardless of their country of residence.
The recommendation must be sent in by the recommending party (e.g. NGB or person) directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Recommendations forwarded by the candidate will not be accepted.
The recommendation must have a date and (a) valid signature(s) of the NGB/person and it may not be older than 30 days.
Jan 24 - Feb 5, 2022: Candidate interviews
- Private interviews will be conducted with each candidate as applications are submitted. The Nominations Committee may conduct interviews outside the aforementioned interview period subject to the candidate’s agreement.
- Interviews will include standard questions determined by the Nominations Committee, and each interview will involve the candidate, and at least one member of the Nominations Committee.
- Written notes will be taken during each interview and shared with all members of the Nominations Committee.
Feb 8, 2022: Candidate summaries shared with NGB representatives
- The CV as well as the motivation letter of each candidate that applied will be shared with representatives of each NGB.
- An overview will also be shared for candidates that the Nominations Committee does not recommend to advance.
This may include candidates who decline to advance after the interview process or candidates who do not fit the minimum expectations for the position, including English proficiency and availability for Board meetings.
Any NGB representative who has further questions about candidates may ask and the Nominations Committee will provide additional information.
If after this additional information is provided, an NGB representative recommends that the candidate may be advanced, unless the candidate had directly declined to further their application, the Nominations Committee will note this for NGBs.
- Please note that those recommendations are not final and may be amended. The final recommendations will be presented at the Assembly.
Feb. 19, 2022: Committee recommendations presented at Assembly
- The Nominations Committee shares final recommendations with NGBs at Assembly.
- The report will note all candidates who applied, the status for each (whether or not they were advanced beyond the interviews).
- The recommendations will note the level of qualification the Nominations Committee believes each candidate has for the trustee position: either recommended or not recommended.
- This report will include a note of which candidates have received NGB recommendations and which candidates applied directly.
- The Nominations Committee may decide whether they want to present the reasons for each “recommendation” or “not recommendation” for each candidate or just for those who were recommended.
Feb. 19, 2022: Assembly Meeting and confirmation vote.
- The Nominations Committee will present the recommendations report and answer additional questions from NGBs.
- To be voted upon, each applicant will need to be nominated by an NGB through a verbal nomination at the AGM.
- Each candidate will be voted on individually during the AGM. Only NGBs who are full members of the IQA may cast votes. No trustee can be elected without an affirmative vote of the majority of voters present at the AGM. If there are any inconsistencies between this description and the Constitution of the IQA, the Constitution shall prevail.
February/March 2022 (TBA): Onboarding of Trustees
- Formal offers will be made to Trustees voted upon during the AGM.
- After this point, the onboarding process will be handled by the IQA staff/Board.
Again, we encourage you to reach out to us at email@example.com if you have any feedback. We look forward to working together to move the sport forward!
Chris Lau (Co-Chair) and Rahel Liviero (Co-Chair)